Please Help the Unfortunate Burn Victims in Pakistan
All she wanted was to go to school. She dreamed that this would be her path to a better life. She never asked to have acid thrown in her face because she was getting an education. She never even saw it coming. Today, she is nearly blind and terribly disfigured. Sadly, her story can be retold hundreds of times over. She and hundreds of such women deserve a second chance.
• The Oscar winning movie Saving Face has highlighted the suffering of acid and fire burn victims in Pakistan. It has also brought to forefront the lack of adequate treatment facilities for burn victims.
• Association of Physicians of Pakistani-descent of North America (APPNA) is supporting building of a State of the Art Burn Center at Mayo Hospital Lahore in the newly built Surgical Tower. We plan to donate equipment for the ICU.
• The Burn Center will be able to treat Burn Victims with the latest equipment and technology.
• The unit will be run by a team of well-trained Plastic Surgeons in Pakistan.
• It will provide an opportunity for surgeons and intensivists from the United States and United Kingdom to perform surgeries and train staff.
• The cost of the equipment for the Burn Center is $223,000.
• The operations and quality of care will be monitored by a supervising team from the United States.
We need your help in accomplishing this very worthy cause.
Donations can be made in the form of equipment or monetary gifts. The list of equipment needed along with the cost is available at this link. The operational equipment cost for surgical procedures is also available at this link.
You may alsoDEDICATE A BRICK in your own name or in honor of a loved one. Each brick is equivalent to a $1000 gift, and your personal dedication will be displayed permanently at the Burn Center. (Please put the name of the designee for the brick in the comments section of the Donation page).
No donation is too small to help reach our goal. Your donations will go a long way in helping the unfortunate burn victims.
Quote from the Director of Saving Face
"I am thrilled that APPNA has decided to support the burns center at Mayo Hospital Lahore. I am very grateful for the support; and I would love to help in any way I can. Until we can eradicate acid violence from Pakistan, the burns center will go a very long way in improving the lives of survivors, and for this we are grateful to APPNA."
APPNA in collaboration with Glamour magazine's "Women of the Year Fund Initiative" will be working together to direct funds to the APPNA Burn Center.
APPNA Burn Center
If you would like to help her, please donate generously.
Dr. Muhammad Jawad
Dr. Muhammad Jawad was APPNA's keynote speaker at its 35th annual meeting in Washington DC where he held fruitful discussions and offered his cooperation for APPNA Burn Unit.